How to Create a Retro Camp Illustration in Procreate
If you love retro-inspired outdoors illustrations this tutorial is for you.
In this video from Brave the Woods on YouTube, illustrator Brad Woodard teaches you how to create a simple camping illustration in Procreate with a little help from The Mid-Century Procreate Brush Pack.
The Mid-Century Brush Pack is the perfect pack to use for this kind of illustration. It gives you a strong, concise mix of 15 brushes made in collaboration with Brave the Woods.
Here's an outline of how Brad creates his illustration:
- Build the scene with solid shapes. After creating a sketch of a simple camp scene Brad uses The Mid-Century Procreate Pack's Fat Ink brush to create some smooth inky shapes.
- Add in line work. Use a brush like our Carbon Brush to add in detailed line work including simple tree branches, patches of grass, and details in the wood.
- Texture. Adding textures to your work in Procreate is where a lot of the magic happens. Create an Alpha Lock in Procreate. Once you've done that you can use the Rough Halftone brush to paint in beautiful halftones line magic. Brad uses this technique to bring the tree into the background and add depth.
If you found this tutorial useful be sure to follow Brave the Woods on YouTube and tag us on Instagram with the art you create from the tutorial. We might feature your work!
More tutorials you might enjoy:
- How to Draw a Retro Character in Procreate
- How to Create a Retro Bubble Gum T-Shirt Illustration
- How to Draw a Retro Cartoon Magician in Procreate
- How to Make a Vintage Toy Ad in Procreate
- 7 Tips for the Procreate App You May Now Know About
Want to go all out on your mid-century illustration work?
Check out The Complete Mid-Century Brush Collection for Procreate. It's chocked full of brushes for your every mid-century need including the basic set, liner brushes, gouache brushes, texture brushes, and more.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.