Great question. Writing a jingle is tricky because on top of writing a song you also have to pack in tons of required information about the product.
Here's Collin's process for writing and recording the song (in his own words):
Well, there were a few things that I really liked about this project.
- I really love when someone gives me a prompt, so the fact that you guys already had the name of the group, was a big help.
- I liked that we had some lead time, so I could play around and try things out.
- It made sense to me to base the orchestration in the song off of what the characters are playing in the drawing-- so that also gave me a lot of direction at first.
So, the first thing I knew I needed to piece together was the refrain/chorus. I knew pretty earlier on that I wanted the phrase Furry Bottom Boys (the name we came up for the band of woodland creatures) to be somewhere in the first line.
At first, I just started building the tune and the initial lyrics in my head. I spent about a week doing this before I ever touched an instrument. Just singing it to myself on my bike or making breakfast, etc.
Then, once I had the chorus pretty well roughed out in my head, I did a rough sketch in Garage band. Which gave me something to build out the lyrics to.
The middle section, which is much more specific to the product, definitely came later.
I knew pretty early that I want it to be talking, rather than singing-- just in terms of how much info we had to get across in a short piece of music. For that section, I did a lot more brainstorming for the lyrics. I would google stuff like "Puns for Graphic Designers". I would scan through the indexes of the manuals for Photoshop and Illustrator. Just collecting interesting buzz words, etc.
Then I read through all the descriptions of the previous products on the RetroSupply site. I wanted to see what kind of things you guys were punching in your own marketing.
The idea to break the middle section out into the different character voices came from my wife. It also solved a problem I was having which was that each line had so many words that they would overlap each other sometimes.
I re-recorded the instrumental parts in Pro Tools and cut the main vocal for the chorus. Then I spent a day coming up with the voices. I rerecorded each character's section as if they were a separate actor. And the lyrics evolved and changed as I was doing this.