Don't lose a minute of sleep with our Better Than Money Back Guarantee.Learn More
SpaceRanger Brush Pack for Procreate
Natural Media Brushes for Procreate
Buying Options $19.00Buy now, download later • Easy install on your device
Create authentic mid-century inspired illustrations (and more) using this set of professional-grade Procreate brushes
- 20 SpaceRanger Procreate brushes including technical pencils, form builders, standard pencils, conté crayon, print textures and more.
- SpaceRanger Brush quick reference sheet to quickly see how each brush looks.
- SpaceRanger illustration Procreate file that you can reverse engineer to uncover Brad's illustration process.
- Quick and easy installation instructions (with pictures).
- RetroSupply Better-Than-Money-Back Guarantee
Software: Procreate Version 5.0 and above
Hardware: iPad Pro or iPad 2017 or higher
iPadOS: Version 13.2 or higher.
Storage: 27.5 MB
If you're an illustrator, I'm willing to bet you love illustration work from the '50s and '60s.
There's just something about classic illustrations from that era.
Sketching with real pencils, building up dry brush work, using masking fluid, and adding text by taping on typed sheet.
It added soul and character to the work.
But technology has made it REALLY hard to bring hand crafted elements into illustration work
Programs like Procreate save us a ton of time. But it also makes it hard to capture the subtle nuances of traditional illustration techniques.
Today, if you want to bring those subtle nuances to your work, you'd have to work pretty hard.
Most illustrators and designers have developed their own unique process. It typically involves some mix of Procreate, searching through tutorial websites, scanning, Procreate brushes, filters and a little luck.
Some designers get amazing results this way. But when you're on a deadline (or just want to have fun and not think too much), it can be overwhelming.
So we decided to make a brush pack that makes it easier and more enjoyable to draw...
My friend Brad Woodard and I thought it would be cool if there was a product that took some of the work out of the process.
So we decided to make a natural media brush pack (so you can get everything you need to make natural looking illustrations in one place).
Here's how we did it:
Step 1. Spent a ton of time collecting and sharing illustration work we loved
We used Pinterest to build a collection of illustrations we loved. This included a lot of 1950s children's book illustrations. It also included work from current designers that achieve a great looking hand drawn look in their illustrations.
Step 2. Create 100+ brushes and test them with Brad
I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best illustrator. But Brad Woodard is one of my favorites. What I love so much about his work is that it seamlessly mixes mid-century inspired illustration with modern touches.
So we spent hours on Skype working together. I'd make brushes, try them myself and then send them over to Brad via Skype chat.
He'd try them in his illustration work. Then give me feedback (for example, "This brush sucks, Dustin. Don't ever make one like that again").
After early a dozen hours working, refining and testing we had a set of 20 brushes we both loved. For every one we kept, we threw away 5.
Step 3. Add lots of little touches to make the pack as awesome as possible
It would be easy to make a pack of brushes, put it in a ZIP file, and offer it for sale.
But if you've bought RetroSupply products before, you know we never do that. We want to make the products as friendly and enjoyable to use as possible.
So we did what we always do with RetroSupply products. We thought out the little details to make the product the best it could be.
Here's some of the little details we added:
- Added a Brush Quick Reference Sheet (so you can preview a brush without opening it and scribbling on your canvas)
- Added easy to follow instructions with pictures
- Organized the files into folders so it's easy to navigate
The result is a brush pack that we're both proud of.
We called it the SpaceRanger Brush Pack for Procreate
Here's what's included in the SpaceRanger Pack:
- 20 super-realistic Procreate brushes
- Includes brushes for sketching, shading, form building and adding subtle print textures to your work.
- Easy 30 second Procreate installation instructions.
- SpaceRanger Brush Quick Reference Sheet (so you can see what each brush looks like without trying every single one in the middle of a project).
- SpaceRanger Illustration Procreate File (so you can inspect each layer and get an even deeper understanding of how to create these types of illustrations).