Create Illustrations Like 1950's Commercial Artists
Have you ever wondered how some digital artists are able to create such realistic pen and ink illustrations?
You'd swear their work was created in a wood paneled commercial art office. India ink heavy in the air, piles of paper filled with sketches, and busy artists at sturdy wooden desks using ink brushes, rollerballs and nib pens.
So what's the secret to creating authentic commercial art illustrations?
Here's a hint: inconsistency and human imperfection.
Adobe Illustrator has given us the ability to create precision artwork. The problem is that it cost us the human touch that adds warmth to illustrations.
This can all be boiled down to one key trait. Expression filled ink strokes with varying weights and subtle imperfections.
- Create realistic pen and ink illustrations like 1950's commercial artists
- 20 Pressure Sensitive clean ink brushes (recreated from source material)
- 20 Pressure Sensitive dirty ink brushes (created from scanned samples)
- Reference chart with instructions and brushes so you don't have to guess which brush you're using
Software: Adobe Illustrator CS4 and above
Hardware: 2.4ghz processor or higher
Memory: 16gb RAM or higher
Storage: 14.4 MB
We've recreated the feel of this era with the VectorHero Pen Pack for Illustrator. Here's how we did it:
- Gathered a huge library of commercial art from the 1940's and 50's.
- Studied how these pens perform in the real world. We paid close attention to things like how the ink pools when a nib pen first touches the paper. How brush strokes widen as pressure increases and decreases. How the end of strokes terminate.
- Carefully recreated these characteristic in vector form. We used real commercial art samples, strokes we created with brush and nib pens and even created ink strokes with the pen tool using historical reference material.
The bottom line is we created the pen set that we've always dreamed of.
You see, most Adobe Illustrator brush packs are made by scanning pen strokes, auto tracing them and making them into brushes.
The result is hard to use brushes that give less than stellar results.
Scott Fuller and myself (Dustin Lee) spent over 40 hours compiling material, studying the best examples of commercial illustration work, recreating and refining brushes and then testing them by creating real artwork in the classic style of 1950's illustrations.
The result is a pack of brushes that we love using in our work. We think you'll love them too.
Grab the VectorHero Illustrator Pen Pack now and start getting realistic ink results the easy way!
Here's exactly what you'll get when you purchase this pack.
- 20 Pressure sensitive clean Ink brushes (recreated from source material)
- 20 Pressure sensitive dirty Ink brushes (created from scanned samples)
- Beautiful 8.5 x 35 inch reference chart (with brushes)
- Instructions included in reference chart
- Versions for CS4, CS5, CS6 and CC
Created from real 1950's source material and real brush and ink pen samples. Work created by Dustin Lee and Scott Fuller. Available exclusively from RetroSupply Co.
- RARalitsa A M.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars5 months agoPERFECT!
Exactly what I needed. Happy client.
- YUYoo U.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars1 year agoso great!
- FVFarinazzo V.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 years agoProbably the best brush buy I've done so far
Absolutely amazing brushes! Super versatile and consistent!!!!
- TCTony C.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 years agoVector Heroics
A great starting point. Lovely lines. However, to truly unlock the power and flexibility of this set you really need to learn the ins and outs of brush settings (plenty of tutorials on YouTube) or you might not understand why the brush does not behave as you would wish. That said, if you add a little bit of technical expertise to your use of these brushes you should be thrilled with the results.RCRetroSupply Co.2 years agoThank you for the kind words, we appreciate your support! We are also very happy to hear that you are enjoying your purchase and those are great tips for others! Have an awesome week!
- SDSarah D.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars3 years agoI dig it.
These are lovely and smooth. Wish I had found them a long time ago!