Dry Transfer Patterns, No Wrist Injuries
TransferTone is our tribute to the mesmerizing world of rub-on products. We researched dozens of patterns and tints sold back in the 1970s and 1980s and made patterns inspired by the era. Totally tubular, right?
- 50 amazing seamless pattern swatches for Adobe Illustrator inspired by dry transfer patterns of the 1970s and 1980s.
- No talent needed... just load the patterns and go crazy.
- Printable reference chart to hang on your wall.
- Righteous easy-to-follow instructions.
Software: Adobe Illustrator CS6 and above
Hardware: 2.4ghz processor or higher
Memory: 16gb RAM or higher
Storage: 188 MB
Before computers and graphic design software dry transfer (also called rub-ons) was a favorite way of adding unique patterns and tints into designs.
Companies like Action Transfers and Peter Pan Playthings provided type, patterns, and decals on laminate sheets with a protective gummed tissue sheet on top. By pressing the sheet against a surface and using a ballpoint pen or pencil, you could transfer the art onto paper.
The results were pretty wicked (even though your wrist would hurt like crazy from rubbing). But with the rise of desktop publishing, dry transfers went out of style in place of "the lazy man's method" of just using a computer.
Now you can experience the look of dry transfers in your work - without wrist injuries or the astronomical prices (each sheet cost around $30 adjusted for inflation).
- 50 vector pattern swatches inspired by dry transfers of the 1970s and 1980s.
- Diverse swatches including white noise, netting, mazes, halftones, wonky grids and more!
- Printable reference sheets you can decorate the walls of your workspace with to let everyone know dry transfer ain't dead!
- Easy-to-follow instructions. No talent required!
- Tested to death to make sure there's no seams or hairlines. These brushes are perfect.
- Add unique textures and depth to your work that will look awesome and make people do a double take.
- Not just for 1970s and 1980s effects. Spice up any type of illustration or design work!
Watch the Promo Video
Jared Sylvia is a freelance designer and illustrator based in Orlando, Florida. With over 10 years of experience in the field, he has a passion for surrealism and collage art. In addition to his creative pursuits, Jared is also committed to destigmatize mental health issues and promote greater awareness through his art.
In his free time, Jared enjoys writing and playing music, as well as spending time with his wife and three children.
You can check out his work on Instagram @jaredsylvia and at jaredsylvia.net
- CBClarisse B.Verified BuyerReviewingTransferTone | Dry Transfer Brushes for ProcreateI recommend this productProduct Standouts Ease of use, Authentic, Fast results, Value for Money, Great QualityRated 5 out of 5 stars4 months agoAwesome!
- CRColton R.Verified BuyerReviewingTransferTone | Dry Transfer Brushes for ProcreateI recommend this productProduct Standouts Ease of use, Great Quality, Value for MoneyRated 5 out of 5 stars6 months agoMakes life easier
Loved using this pack. It helped so much with texture and shades in fun and unique ways.RCRetroSupply Co.6 months ago
Thank you for your purchase of TransferTone! We're happy you enjoy it and are having fun using the brushes. Thank you for supporting us!
-The RetroSupply Co. Team
- MDMaria del V.Verified BuyerReviewingTransferTone | Dry Transfer Brushes for Clip Studio PaintI recommend this productRated 4 out of 5 stars7 months agoA quick way to add texture to your work
This is a review specifically for the Clip Studio Paint version of the material.
The dry transfer brushes are an easy and quick way to texturize your artwork. They look better on greyscale or limited palette illustrations instead of fully painting an image, and the learning curve to figure out what looks good requires a lot of experimentation. Some patterns are better than others, but that is entirely personal taste. I can say that most if not all of them are clearly distinct from one another, so no real repeats.
Something I can't get the hang on is the shader version of the brushes, I understand the idea but can't figure out a way to make them look actually good. A tutorial on this subject included with the bundle would go a long way into getting the most out of the pack, in my opinion. The small bonus of pointillism brushes are a nice touch, makes me curious to see what a fully dedicated set of them would look like.
One thing of note that I find in most Retro Supply brushes of this type, including the Halftone and Color Lab ones, is a faded quality to the brush edges that make it hard to get a clear definition, and not in a fun, retro way, and most importantly makes it impossible to invert the texture of the brush, something I find crucial when getting the most out of this type of asset. It is possible to get a hard edge to the brush and make it possible to invert the texture, but it is cumbersome to do, especially for the quantity of brushes in the package. This may be…RCRetroSupply Co.7 months ago
Thank you for your purchase! We are grateful that you took the time to write such a thorough and thoughtful review. We’ll take your comments into consideration when we update the pack again.
-The RetroSupply Co. Team
- MRMaria R.Verified BuyerReviewingTransferTone | Dry Transfer Brushes for ProcreateI recommend this productProduct Standouts Ease of use, Great Quality, Authentic, Fast results, Value for MoneyRated 5 out of 5 stars1 week ago2nd purchase!
Love the brushes this company creates that I came back for seconds!
- CKCampbell, K.Verified BuyerReviewingTransferTone | Dry Transfer Brushes for PhotoshopI recommend this productProduct Standouts Authentic, Value for Money, Great QualityRated 5 out of 5 stars2 months agoGreat variety of different textures!
I was impressed with the variety of different textures. I bought this to combine with a manga screentone pack that I've liked using for awhile, and these textures mix and match quite nicely with those. The manga screentones (from another provider) are generally pretty gridded and regular, while the TransferTone pack has some nice variety of different kinds of patterns. Love it!RCRetroSupply Co.2 months ago
Thank you for your support and for taking the time to review your purchase of TransferTone. We're happy you're satisfied with the variety and quality of the brushes.
-The RetroSupply Co. Team