1950s horror comic publisher EC Comics did something subtle and creepy.
They used a machine to emulate hand lettering mechanically. The Leroy Lettering System emulated the look of handwriting but with a lifeless consistency.
Imagine desktop publishing but on a rickety device that has subtle inconsistencies.
Now you can capture the same creepy classic look with TOOM — our new font by artist, writer, and university professor Christopher Sperandio.
- 3 all-caps faces (Regular, Italic, Bold Italic).
- Includes punctuation, special characters, and essential comic characters. including copyright, trademark, and reserved symbols.
- OTF file.
- Support for European languages.
- Extras like skulls, excitement lines, and misprinted characters.
- Made by artist, writer, and university professor Christopher Sperandio.
Recently, I found I needed a new font for my new graphic novels, so I made a digital version of the Leroy Lettering System. Fans of old comics will recognize Leroy Lettering. Bill Gaines, publisher of EC Comics, employed Jim Wroten, a former Leroy Lettering System salesman, and his wife, to letter ALL of their books. The use of Leroy Lettering made the EC books distinct.
The font I made is called TOOM, its name a mash-up of TOON and TOMB, a tribute to the primary use of the Leroy Lettering System in 1950s horror comics.
Since authoring this font, I’ve used it in my new graphic novels and my contributions to comics anthologies such as š! from kuš! komiksi based in Riga, Latvia, and Kutlul, based in Berlin and Rotterdam, and in the daily comics that I make and post on Instagram.
- Chris Sperandio
- SMSoul M.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 stars4 days agoClassic!
I’ve always wanted to play around with different art styles, and retro comics were one of them I wanted to replicate. However, there was one thing I was missing in my pieces: the comic font. But now, having Toom on hand, my artwork feels complete! Even Comic Sans can’t beat this!RCRetroSupply Co.34 seconds ago
Thank you for purchasing TOOM! We're glad you enjoy it and can use it for your projects. Thank you for your support and lovely review.
-The RetroSupply Co. Team
- JJJacob J.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 stars1 month agoGreat Product
This type was perfect for a recent project!
- WMWilliam M.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 stars2 months agoThe best all around comic font?!
One word... Timeless! I don't regret this purchase ont bit. I love TOOM, it's now part of my regular rotation!
- EMEugenio M.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 stars9 months agoThe font used in my childhood comics.
I love it.
This is the exact font used in the Mexican comics I used to read when I was a kid in the seventies. The ones published in editorial Novaro.
The perfect match with Colorlab.
- ALAndrew L.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 stars11 months agoReally like the design of
Really like the design of this font. Awesome job on this